As planned, I got up bright and early on Friday morning to finish my first ever skirt. All I had to do was sew in the zip, do the waistband and hem it...an easy mornings work.
First the zip. I read my Alison Smith book, I watched some YouTube videos, I stitched the seam up to the zipper point then basted the rest. I pressed the seam and hand tacked the zip in place. I then tried to secure the zip.
Three hours later, I had a zip that was passable, not pretty, not close to perfect, but unlikely to fall out. I need to do a lot more research and practise with zips, does anyone have any favourite tutorials?
Then on to the waistband, where I placed the interfacing over the material and pressed, resulting in a lovely big load of interfacing stuck to my iron. I worked out how to get the rest to just stick to the material, and moved on. I attached the waistband to the top of the skirt, pinned in place and sewed. It looked like one of the best rows of stitching I had ever done, neat, straight, just perfect. Unfortunately, when I went to press it, I noticed I had caught one of the folds of fabric in the stitching, so had to rip it all out again, ripping the fabric too in one place. When I tried to pin it in place again, it no longer seemed to fit, the waistband was too short! I have no idea what has happened, but at that point the whole project was folded up and put away, I'll try again another day.
I also did manage to very successfully start my lovely flowery skirt, though trying to lay out 5m of fabric in a 2.5m space was quite a lot of fun. My lining should arrive this morning, and I hope to finish that one over the weekend.
My comic material didn't arrive until yesterday, so have not started that one yet, but planning to make that up tonight so I can wear it to dress down Friday tomorrow, and to my course at night.
I think I may have caught the sewing bug though, last night my husband asked me what was wrong, as I looked both in pain and frustrated. I had to confess that I was really annoyed I couldn't do any sewing as my leg was insisting I be horizontal.
I hate to do a blog with no photos, so thought I would end by posting one of the vintage patterns I managed to get hold of. They are all vintage size 16s, so I think I have about 6" to lose off my waist before I make them, but what an incentive!! I normally go for 1950's styles, but these just looked so much fun (though only planning to make the maxi skirt rather thanh the crazy blouse!)