Tuesday 22 July 2014

Easy Tee Sew-a-Long: Part One, The Pattern

I am excited to be taking part in the Easy Tee Sew-a-long using the pattern from It's Always Autumn.  The pattern has a number of different versions, all free, so you can choose from a plain top, raglan sleeves, Peter Pan collar, pattern drop or colour block.

I decided to use the Peter Pan collar version, and bought a meter of cloud grey and a meter of charcoal grey cotton interlock fabric from Tia Knight on eBay.  The fabric was £3.99 a meter and feels lovely, with a decent stretch.  One of my pieces did have a flaw in it, but Tia Knight immediately sent me a replacement meter without any problem, so first class customer service.  Delivery was also within 24 hours of ordering which also impressed me.

So, back to the pattern. It only comes in large, and there is no real information on what size that will cover.  I've lost 11lbs in the last 3 weeks, so I am risking making the size without further measurements, as it does look generous.  The pattern prints on 6 A4 pages and there is no trimming, just line the edges us against each other and stick.  This made it one of the fastest PDF patterns that I have had to put together.

Once I had stuck it all together, I decided to lower the neckline a little as I generally prefer them to hit just above my chest rather than closer to my neck.  To do this I extended the straight line of the neck by around 6cm, then used a French curve to match the original curve of the neckline.  This meant that the collar piece no longer fitted, so I cut straight across it, put some paper behind it, and extended it by the 6cm.


So, that's all the pattern ready to cut out tomorrow.

If you would like to take part in the sew-a-long, just follow here, or join the Facebook event

2 comments:

  1. The Peter pan collar really makes this top special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never done a collar, and thought this looked really sweet. I'm excited to see all the variations done by the others in the sew-a-long

      Delete